Pages

Monday, July 26, 2021

The Springbok Tour Protests

 The Springbok Tour Protests

Questions: 

1) What is another world for apartheid? Another word for apartheid would be apartness/separation by ethnicity/skin colour.

2) Why did the protestors need helmets? They needed to wear them because the police had used long batons to aggressively hit them.

3) Why do you think being called "Honorary whites" upset the Maoi All blacks? Before the New Zealand government had cancelled two All blacks tours to South Africa due to Racist rules but then was mocked as "honorary whites" when they first arrived.

4) Why was the Hamilton rugby game cancelled? It was cancelled because hundreds of anti-tour protesters had infiltrated the field with chants.

5) do you think this protest was successful? why? why not? I think the anti-tour protesters were successful in the end, the apartheid was sent to jail and was stopped by Nelson Mandela when he became president of South Africa.

10 Facts about Springbok Tour protest.

1) For 56 days from July to August, New Zealanders were divided and were forced to go against each other. 

2) More than 150,000 people were involved in the event.

3) The event occurred in 1981.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.